Like you, we don't like people running off with our personal details so we promise not to sell, lease or otherwise transfer your information to anyone else, except where you've expressly asked us to (by entering a competition we're running jointly with another company for example).
This website, www.johnstonsofelgin.com (the "Website") is operated by or on behalf of James Johnston & Company of Elgin Limited ("Johnstons of Elgin"), registered in Scotland under company number SC22553 and having its registered office at Newmill, Elgin, Morayshire IV30 4AF. Our trading names include Johnstons of Elgin and Johnstons Cashmere.
Johnstons of Elgin is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the GDPR and all appropriate data protection legislation ("the Act"), the Data Controller is Johnstons of Elgin.
In this Policy, when we refer to "you", we are referring to you, as the person or entity accessing, viewing and/or using the Website. Any reference to "we", "our", "us" etc is a reference to Johnstons of Elgin.
- INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
When you visit, register or order products or services on the website you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself. You may also choose to provide information through a form located in-store or in a third party location or website such as Facebook. In doing so, we may collect and process the following data about you.
This may include information that we collect and that which is given to us with your consent via the Website or by email, including any personal details for example your name, email address, postal address, date of birth and telephone number (and including any other information provided at the time of joining our mailing list, entering competitions or prize draws, and purchasing goods). These details may include:
- Details of goods purchased whilst using the Website and fulfilment of your orders.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence or call.
- Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, click-stream data, HTTP protocol elements, search terms, HTTP cookies, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data.
- The information we collect via the Website may also include your IP address: this is the individual identification number that is assigned to your computer when it is connected to the Internet.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under age thirteen (13) (or the otherwise applicable age of digital consent in any particular jurisdiction). Children under the applicable age of digital consent are not permitted to use the Website, and must request an adult provide any personal data in connection with the Website. We will delete any information later determined to have been collected from an underage user.
- OUR PURPOSE FOR PROCESSING YOUR DATA
Our lawful bases for processing Personal Data are:
- by consent of the data subject;
- necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject or other person;
- in compliance with a legal obligation;
- or necessary for the purpose of legitimate interests pursued by the Data Controller (except where these are overridden by the interests, right, or freedoms of the Data Subject).
We will only keep your information as long as you remain an active customer and for 2 years afterwards or otherwise as required by law.
4.1 What is a cookie?
- for technical purposes essential to the effective operation of the Website;
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during one task;
- measuring how many people are using the Website, to ensure there is enough capacity for the Website to operate at a reasonable speed;
- completion and support of the current activity being undertaken by the user, for example previously viewed pages or products;
- monitoring the success of campaigns and competitions;
- website and system administration, for example, tracking the number of website users for marketing purposes;
- remembering pages viewed;
- monitoring your journey around the Website which helps us improve navigation and ease of access to popular pages; and
- remembering items you have saved to your bag on a previous visit to the Website, including where the browser has been closed and a new session has begun.
4.2 Types of cookies we use
The Website uses the following types of cookie:
- Session cookie – this type of cookie allows websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session so that the website is able to store certain information whilst the user is browsing the website. These cookies automatically expire soon after your browser closes.
- Persistent cookie - this type of cookie is stored on a users' device in between browser sessions and allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. These are typically deleted after 6 months.
- Third party cookies – these are cookies that are not set by Johnstons of Elgin but are instead set by a third party and are primarily used for advertising.
You can find more detailed information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
4.3 Browser Settings
You may choose to disable or block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the Website. For more information about this, please visit https://www.aboutcookies.org.
4.4 Third-party Utilities
4.5 "Do Not Track" Settings
The Website does not respond to "do not track" settings in browsers.
- WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to ours or any Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
With your consent
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to allow us to contact you in relation to campaigns and promotions and to monitor the success of such campaigns and promotions where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes; and
- for the purpose of advertising or marketing our business, our goods and promoting our public relations in connection with our business
To fulfil our Contract to you:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; and
- to allow us to contact you in relation to competitions, to process your entry to our competitions and to fulfil our obligation under the competition terms and conditions.
Through our Legitimate Interest:
- to administer the Website and to help you use the Website;
- to ensure that content on the Website is presented in the most effective manner for users;
- to notify you about changes to our goods and / or services;
- to process your payments;
- to keep records of purchases, sales or other transactions for the purpose of ensuring that the requisite payments and deliveries are made in respect of those transactions, and to make financial or management forecasts to assist us in conducting our business activities; and
- to carry out analysis of sales processed through the Website and specific products which have been frequently viewed on the Website for marketing and business development purposes.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please contact us using the contact details provided in the 'Contact Us' section below.
- DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose information about you to law enforcement officials in the investigation of any alleged unlawful activities by you. We may also be required to disclose information to a court or regulatory body when required to do so by law.
We may also share your information with our carefully selected service providers to help manage the Website and provide specialist services, including but not limited to, marketing, profiling and processing online purchases including hosting services, payment services and logistics carriers. We carefully and regularly review all agreements with our processors to ensure they are acting in accordance with the GDPR and all applicable data protection legislation. These companies are only allowed to use your data under our instruction and in order to help us to fulfil our services to you and they will take all appropriate measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful access. An example of such a service provider is Experian, who Johnstons of Elgin may use to provide understanding of customer socioeconomic profiles at an aggregate level.
- YOUR RIGHTS
You may ask us to stop sending you postal correspondence that we believe may be of interest to you by contacting us using the details provided in the 'Contact Us' section below.
Should you wish us to stop sending you email correspondence, you can opt out at any time by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link on the most recently received email or contact our ecommerce department using the details provided in the ‘Contact Us’ section below.
Where you ask us to stop sending you correspondence through either our postal mailing list or our email mailing list we shall take reasonable steps to remove your details immediately from both our postal and email mailing lists. However, please be aware that this may take up to 14 days to complete and you may continue to receive correspondence in the meantime until the request has been completed.
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these other websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. To do this, simply email us at email@example.com or write to James Johnston & Company of Elgin Limited, Newmill, Elgin, Morayshire IV30 4AF. We will also request that you provide further information and identification to enable your request to be processed securely. Any such requests will take up to one month to complete, once all relevant identity checks are satisfied and completed. There is no charge for these requests. Should we be prevented from disclosing your personal information, reasons will be given for the refusal.
Where we use your personal data on a consent basis, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to ask us to stop using your personal data for profiling or direct marketing processes. You can update, erase or amend your preferences or how we manage your data at any time. If you believe that any information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using the contact details provided in the 'Contact Us' section below. We will thereafter correct any information found to be incorrect. You can find detailed information about your rights under the Data Protection legislation on the UK Information Commissioner's website: https://www.ico.org.uk/ where we are a registered Data Controller, number Z5414088.
- CONTACT US
Address: James Johnston & Company of Elgin Limited, Newmill, Elgin, Morayshire IV30 4AF
Telephone: +44 (0) 3442 252 252
Last updated: 1st October 2019